A powerful Pokémon you can catch in Pokémon Go is Mewtwo, one of the original legendary Pokémon from the first games. It’s an incredible Pokémon that you can only catch during specific events or whenever it becomes available as a five-star raid. If you capture it, you want to make sure it can become the best Pokémon in your roster, and many do that by using its shadow form. The shadow Mewtwo form is available through the An Inter-egg-sting Development event where players face off against Giovanni at the end of the research.
Mewtwo is a Psychic-type Pokémon. It’s weak to Bug, Dark, and Ghost-type attacks, and its resistant to Fighting and Psychic-type moves. It has a maximum CP of 4,178, an attack of 300, a defense of 182, and stamina of 214. While it has a lower defense than many would feel comfortable with, Mewtwo has an incredible attack that makes it one of the best Pokémon in the game, especially in its shadow form.
Here are all of the moves Mewtwo can learn.
- Psycho cut (Psychic-type) – 3 damage and 4.5 energy per turn
- Confusion (Psychic-type) – 16 damage and 3 energy per turn
- Flamethrower (Fire-type) – 90 damage and 55 energy
- Focus blast (Fighting-type) – 140 damage and 75 energy
- Hyper beam (Normal-type) – 150 damage and 80 energy
- Ice beam (Ice-type) – 90 damage and 55 energy
- Psychic (Psychic-Type) – 90 damage and 55 energy (10 percent chance to lower opponent’s defense by 1)
- Psystrike (Psychic-type) – 90 damage and 45 energy
- Shadowball (Ghost-type) – 100 damage and 55 energy
- Thunderbolt (Electric-type) – 90 damage and 55 energy
Mewtwo has a handful of options you can pick from. To start with the fast move, you want to go with confusion. While it does not generate as much energy per turn as psycho cut does, it does so much more damage, you’d be foolish not to go with confusion first. The amount of damage it can do in battle outweighs how much energy it doesn’t generate.
For the charged move, you have numerous options to pick from. To narrow it down, you don’t want to go with focus blast, hyper beam, flamethrower, ice beam, or thunderbolt. There are other Poké who can learn those moves that do those better than Mewtwo, and Mewtwo has better options available to it. That narrows it down to psychic, psystrike, and shadowball. Of those options, psystrike and shadowball are your best choices. Psystrike does the same damage as psychic does, for 10 less energy, and shadowball does more damage than both of them but costs a bit more energy. While that’s a downside, it’s a powerful Ghost-type attack that other Ghost-type Pokémon would love to use, and it’s an exclusive move you could only obtain during certain events.
So, Mewtwo’s best options are confusion for its fast move, and for its charged move, you want to use psystrike and shadowball. If you keep you Mewtwo a shadow Pokémon, it becomes one of the most powerful Pokémon in the game while not using its Mega-Evolved form.