Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition was released on March 6. The launch was smooth i.e. PC players didn’t face any major game-breaking issue, but the same can’t be said for the performance issues and bugs. Steam and official forums of Final Fantasy XV is filled with user complaints about Final Fantasy XV not running properly on PC. The complaints range from – how to run the game in Borderless Windowed mode, how to fix Low FPS, Lag and Stuttering, how to fix white and black flickering and many other things. In this Final Fantasy XV PC Error guide we have provided fix for almost all the known performance issues. Do let us know in the comment section below – if we missed something that you know.
Error and Fixes – Final Fantasy XV PC/Windows Edition
Before moving on to the Error and Fixes guide let’s take a look at the SAVE GAME (File) Location and Graphics Configuration File Location.
1: Save Game File Location (FFXV):
If you have bought the game via STEAM then Final Fantasy XV Save Game File will be located at “%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XV\Steam\<user-id>\savestorage\”
and if you have bought the game via Microsoft Store then FFXV Save Game File will be located at: ” %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\39EA002F.FINALFANTASYXVforPC_n746a19ndrrjg\SystemAppData\wgs”
2: Graphics Configuration File Location (FFXV GraphicsConfig.ini File Location)
- Steam: “%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XV\Steam\<user-id>\savestorage\”
- Microsoft Store: “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\39EA002F.FINALFANTASYXVforPC_n746a19ndrrjg\LocalState”
3: How To Fix Crash Issue in Final Fantasy XV
To fix the frequent Crash issue in Final Fantasy XV, I would recommend you to roll back to the Driver 390.77. The cause of the frequent crash issue in Final Fantasy XV is the latest driver released by Square Enix – if you have installed it then just rollback to Driver version 390.77. To do that all you need to do is UNINSTALL the currently installed driver with the help of DDU and reinstall Driver version 390.77.
4: How To Run FFXV in Borderless Windowed Mode (Fullscreen Borderless)
To fix this all you need to do is change one statement in “GraphicsConfig.ini”. The full steps to do that is provided below.
- Step 1: Go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XV\Steam\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\savestorage\” i.e the location of your savestorage\
- Step 2: In this location, you will get “GraphicsConfig.ini” file. Right Click and select the option EDIT With Notepad.
- Step 3: Search for “HardwareFullScreenMode”. This option will be set as “1” i.e. it will be written as “HardwareFullScreenMode=1”
- Step 4: You have to replace it with “HardwareFullScreenMode=0” i.e. in place of HardwareFullScreenMode=1 you will have to put HardwareFullScreenMode=0
- Step 5: Save and Enjoy
NOTE: Few things that you need to remember here – The file GraphicsConfig.ini will appear only after you make few changes to the graphics setting. So if you are not finding the GraphicsConfig.ini file at the above mention location then do some changes to the graphics setting, just place with some default values, save and exit, and then look for GraphicsConfig.ini file at the above mention location.
5: High-Resolution Texture Pack Not Working
There are a lot of complaints on Steam and Reddit regarding FFXV High-Resolution Pack not working. Follow the steps provided below, it details where to download High-Resolution Texture Pack, Install It and Enable it in Final Fantasy XV.
How and Where To Download Final Fantasy XV High-Resolution Texture PACK
- Step 1: Download High-Resolution Texture Pack from Steam StoreFront – from this LINK (http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/637650/). You can also download it via Steam as well, follow the steps provided below:
Download High-Resolution Texture Pack via STEAM
- Step 1: Within Steam, Right Click on Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition
- Step 2: From the list of options available select PROPERTIES
- Step 3: Select DLC TAB – it will be located on the right-hand side
- Step 4: Tick the BOX next to the text “FFXV High-Resolution Pack”
- Step 5: Select Close
If you have followed the above mention steps correctly, the download will begin automatically in few seconds. If your download doesn’t start even after waiting for over a minute or so then within Steam select the option STEAM MENU – it will be located at the upper-left side, and the GO TO SETTINGS -> DOWNLOADS -> DOWNLOADS REGION. In Download Region, you have to change it to any nearby region and then SAVE and EXIT.
How To Enable High-Resolution Texture Pack in Final Fantasy XV
Follow the steps provided below to Enable High-Resolution Texture pack in Final Fantasy XV
- Step 1: Go to game’s Main MENU
- Step 2: Select OPTIONS
- Step 3: Select GRAPHICS
- Step 4: Select ASSETS and change it to ON, and HIGH
- Step 5: That’s It
How To Fix Low FPS, Lag and Stuttering Issue
- Tip 1: The first and the foremost thing you should do is make changes to the GraphicsConfig.ini. Now the question that comes to your mind – what all changes you should make to the file? The answer is pretty simple – change parameters that are going to improve your performance and continue making changes until you reach the desired performance.
- Tip 2: If you are playing Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition with a controller then I would advice you to SET STEAM In-Game Overlay to DESKTOP MODE.
Stuttering Issue Fix:
The main cause of Stuttering issue in Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition is the confusion in-game on whether to display GamePad or Keyboard Mouse Controls on the screen. Thankfully, this can be fixed by disabling On-Screen Control Display. To disable it follow the steps provided below: From The Game’s Main Menu select OPTIONS and then select GUIDE.
How To Fix No Sound Issue
In order to Fix No Sound issue in FFXV Windows Edition, you need to make a Switch to either Stereo or 7.1 Channels. This fix also works if you are experiencing a high-pitched noise in the game.
How To Fix White And Black Flickering
The cause of the White Filtering in FFXV Windows Edition is FXAA in Nvidia Control Panel. What FXAA does is it conflicts with the Filtering Setting available in-game. In order to fix it, you will have to TURN OFF Nvidia FXAA. If this doesn’t work then try to drop Filtering to a LOW value. The second option for you is to lower the Filtering Setting to a LOW value to remove white flickering.
How To Fix Black Flickering
The cause of Black Flickering in Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition is associated with many factors – it could be due to Memory Leak, bad CPU or GPU overclocking etc. If you are overclocking PC then I would recommend you to lower the intervals to fix the Black Flickering issue.
A lot of players are reporting that the preload keeping looping and never completes in Final Fantasy XV. To fix it all you have to do is Delete the Preload file and redownload it. The preload file is located at this location – “steam\steamapp\depotcache”
Check out our Final Fantasy XV Wiki Page. It carries detail on Story/Campaign Walkthrough, Tips and Tricks, Collectibles Location and many other things.