The Mentor system was introduced to Final Fantasy XIV during Heavensward to provide an in-game avenue for novice players to identify more experienced players.
Becoming a mentor in FFXIV offers a few rewards. You can access each server’s Novice Network, which is the game’s only true public chat. You’ll be able to change your status to Mentor and make a crown icon next to your name that many people enjoy wearing. If you’re partied with a New Adventurer below level 20, they’ll earn an EXP bonus in any content you run together.
Only PvE Mentors can participate in Mentor Roulette, which offers its own set of rewards, including Astrope, a prestigious 2-seater mount.
You can choose to earn mentor status either through battle or crafting/gathering, or both. The below list of requirements has been updated to reflect the changes introduced during Shadowbringers in patch 5.1.
PvE Mentor Requirements
- Complete 1,500 dungeons, raids, or trials
- Receive 1,000 player commendations
- Complete any level 80 tank role quest
- Complete any level 80 healer role quest
- Complete any level 80 DPS role quest
If you’re having difficulty meeting these requirements, there are a few ways to power-level. To reach the 1,500 instance requirement, many people chain-run Bowl of Embers Normal unsynced. If you need to farm commendations, the easiest method is to run guildhests as a tank or healer.
Trade Mentor Requirements
- Gather or catch 300 collectibles
- Craft 100 collectibles
- Reach level 80 in any Disciple of the Hand
- Reach level 80 in any Disciple of the Land
Collectibles crafted for any of the Custom Delivery NPCs count towards this total. Note that collectibles do not need to be handed in to count. This is especially important for gatherers; the items you gather do not have to meet minimum collectibility requirements to be turned into Rowena’s House of Splendors.
Registering as a Mentor
Once you’ve met either of these sets of requirements, speak with the Smith in one of these locations to register as a mentor:
- New Gridania (X: 11, Y:13)
- Limsa Lominsa Upper Decks (X: 11, Y:11)
- Ul’dah – Steps of Nald (X: 11.8, Y: 9)
- South Shroud (X: 19, Y: 18)
- Central Shroud (X: 10, Y: 22)
- Central Shroud (X: 19, Y: 28)
- Western La Noscea (X: 28, Y: 24)
- Western Thanalan (X: 27, Y: 16)
- Eastern Thanalan (X: 14, Y: 30)
The requirements for mentorship changed during Shadowbringers; if you had been a Mentor previously but no longer can access Novice Network or Mentor Roulette, you’ll need to recertify with a Smith NPC.