Niantic announced several upcoming events for Pokémon Go for December.
The first event of December is a new Special Research called Challenging Development, and it continues the ongoing conflict against Team Go Rocket. Players who participate in the Special Research have the chance to challenge Giovanni, the leader of Team Go Rocket, again. Players will also have the opportunity to gain and purify Shadow Zapdos.
— Pokémon GO (@PokemonGoApp) December 10, 2019
Another new event will begin on Monday, Dec. 16, where different Pokémon will soon hatch from eggs. The blog post encourages players to incubate eggs and walk outside to find out what Pokémon will hatch from their eggs.
The Legendary Pokémon Virizion is making its debut in five-star raids starting on Dec. 17, at 1pm PST. Virizion is one of the Swords of Justice from Pokémon Black and White. It’s a Grass and Fighting-type Pokémon. It is weak against poison, fire, psychic, ice, and fairy-types; it is four-times vulnerable against flying-type moves. This Virizion event will end on Jan. 7, 2020, at 1pm PST.
The next event is a Raid Weekend starring the box Legendaries of Pokémon Gold and Silver, Ho-Oh, and Lugia, respectively, starting on Friday, Dec. 20, coming to five-star raids. Ho-Oh is a Fire and Flying-type Legendary, whereas Lugia is a Psychic and Flying-type Pokémon. The event ends Dec. 23, at 1pm PST. Virizion will still be available during this time.
The next Pokémon Go 2019 Holiday event starts Dec. 24, at 12am. Pokémon in the event will have holiday theme costumes, and new Ice-type Pokémon will be spawning. There will also be event-exclusive Field Research, and new winter-based items to purchase to customize your trainer avatar. It ends Jan. 1, at 11:59pm local time.
Here are the full listed features for Pokémon Go Holidays 2019:
- Pokémon in holiday costumes: Pikachu, Raichu, and Pichu wearing beanies and Stantler wearing bells will appear in Pokémon Go for the first time.
- Pokémon appearing in the wild: Delightful Ice-type Pokémon will appear in the wild, such as Sneasel, Delibird, Snorunt, and more! Cubchoo, the Chill Pokémon, making its Pokémon Go debut.
- Pokémon appearing in Eggs: Alolan Sandshrew, Alolan Vulpix, Pichu wearing beanies, and Stantler wearing bells will be hatching from 7 km Eggs.
- Pokémon appearing in Raid Battles: Raichu wearing beanies and Stantler wearing bells will appear in two-star raids.
- Pokémon attracted by Glacial Lure Modules: Throw a Glacial Lure Module onto a PokéStop near you, and you’ll have a chance of encountering Cryogonal, the Crystallizing Pokémon, making its Pokémon Go debut.
- Event-exclusive Field Research: Enjoy event-exclusive Field Research tasks that will reward you with the chance to encounter Pokémon like Pikachu wearing beanies.
- Save Shadow Pokémon! We have reason to believe that Team GO Rocket has turned more Pokémon, including Delibird, into Shadow Pokémon! There might be other Shadow Pokémon to discover in places high and low, so get out there and save them.
- If you’re lucky, you might encounter Shiny Stantler wearing bells and Shiny Snover.
- Winter-themed avatar items coming to the shop! You can look forward to a Stantler Sweater and a Stantler Headband as well as a Beanie Hat to match the one some Pikachu are wearing for this event.
The final event lasts for eight-hour on Dec. 28, from 11am to 7pm during your local time. During this timeframe, Glacial Lure Modules last for two hours to lure out Ice-type Pokémon, such as Delibird and Cubchoo. If you evolve your Eevee into a Glaceon using a Glacial Lure, it will know the move Last Resort. Regice also returns to raids, and players will gain two additional Raid Passes whenever they spin a disc at a gym.
For more details of what all December brings, check out the official Pokémon Go blog post.