Red Dead Redemption 2 is a massive game and there are a ton of things to do in the game, apart from playing the main story missions, you can go for hunting animals, fishing, and do many other side-activates. What happens with such a massive game is that players tend to person even the simple activity in a complex way as they are unaware of the tips and tricks by which that particular task can be performed easily and with the best result. To help out Red Dead Redemption 2 players, here’s our Ultimate Tips and Tricks guide – it carries many interesting tips on various aspects of the game: Gameplay, Clothing, Horse, Hunting, and so on. Please note – this guide will be updated regularly, so keep coming back.
RDR 2 Ultimate Tips And Tricks – Hunting, Controls, & More
Before moving towards the tips and tricks, I would advise you guys to take a look at our these 5 Important Red Dead Redemption 2 Control Tweaks that you all must make to improve your overall gameplay experience vastly.
Gameplay Tips And Tricks – RDR 2
- Using the ledger in camp, after Dutch’s tent has been upgraded (might be worth doing this early since more people begin to contribute), Arthur’s tent can be upgraded to enable fast travel ($260).
- The lasso is great and can be used for a multitude of things: You can lasso witnesses without losing honor/being caught. Lassoing large animals lets you keep them in place and get in close for an (albeit pretty brutal) knife kill without damaging the animal.
- You can lasso animals that are dead in rivers and bring them towards you by holding R2/RT.
- If you punch someone with the lasso equipped, you instantly hogtie them.
- Crouching whilst crawling up a steep incline may help with grip and stop Arthur from falling over.
- Running into someone and pressing triangle will tackle them to the ground.
- You can start a fist fight if you have a bounty and let the police arrest you by surrendering to have your bounty go away, but you will lose all your money, so the best thing before making this move would be to spend the money first.
- If you’re in a fist fight right as an enemy is about to land a punch, you can hit the block button for a parry, then attack right after.
- A dark red X after shooting someone means that their wound is fatal and they will die soon, usually accompanied by a very good animation.
- You can equip a pocket watch from your satchel/buy one from the shop and access it from your inventory in the camera/binocular slot.
- Dynamite/Gunshots can be used on lockboxes to open them if you don’t have a lock breaker yet. Make sure to get rid of the horses first or they may run off.
- Eagle eye can be used to locate items in the environment as well, like plants etc.
- You can hold triangle/Y to rest on the spot if you’re not on your horse and craft etc. This also raises stamina a bit.
- Running up to someone with a weapon and pressing RT/R2 activates a kill shot animation. This also works with a lasso to skip the throw, and works also after a tackle.
- If you’re standing over multiple lootable things you can cycle through things to loot with R1/RB.
- The door of the house you want to break into locked? Smash a window and climb in.
- You can hitch a ride by calling out to a carriage and pressing the request a ride prompt they will continue on to their destination.
- If you want to set up a camp but there is “too much activity around”, just press L1 and go to the item section. Then choose the tent and release L1. Arthur will then transport instantly to a nearby place where you are able to set up camp.
- You can do instant stealth kills on sleeping NPCs, in contrary to regular stealth kills with B/Circle you have to press the trigger with the knife.
- Right stick in the first person mode turns you around 180 degrees.
- If you see a large steel door with a small viewport at eye level, approach and knock on it. This signals that there is a hidden room in the building/store. Once you do this, Arthur will now have the option of forcing the shopowner to open the door.
- Equipping your loadout through a gunshop’s customization menu will keep that loadout and you won’t have to change it on your horse.
- A quick soft vibration in your controller may indicate a point of interest that is not on your map.
Horse Tips And Tricks – RDR 2
- If you steal a carriage, train etc. You can just whistle your horse and it will follow behind you.
- Holding triangle whilst on your horse will hitch up anywhere, even into the ground or a tree.
- “If anyone is trying to figure out the horse perks from bonding with your horse; RB + X from a stand still will rear your horse and it seems to get you into a gallop faster.
- Horse drifting is holding X while moving LT left or right and helps for dodging trees, rocks, or making wide turns.
- RB + A is great for stopping on a dime and making sharp turns.
- How to drift with your horse: Get a little bit of speed going (tap A a couple times) and then use LT to spin in a circle. Your horse’s back end will kick out like you’re doing donuts and then choose a direction to peel out with your horse. No benefit really, but looks tight.”
- Hold right next to the horse to see its cargo, this stuff also automatically appears in the shop menu as long as your horse is close.
- You can have an additional horse follow you around on your house for extra hunting storage (pelts/carcasses) just highlight a tamed horse and ask it to follow you
- Don’t be afraid to drop your guns in order to pick up new ones if you find them, your old guns can be retrieved from your saddle just like your hat.
- You can carry multiple skins on the back of your horse.
- You can recall your horse from a stable. If you end up in the middle of nowhere without your horse: save and reload it will be teleported near you.
- You can store multiple outfits on your horse and access them with L1 while near it.
- You can calm enemy horses and loot the satchels on either side.
- You can jump onto your horse from elevated places, like a balcony etc.
- Circle/B on the horse will kick in the direction of the analogue.
- You can decide on which side you want to get off the horse by using the left analog stick immediately after tapping triangle/Y or at the same time.
Controls Tips And Tricks – RDR 2
- Pressing down whilst in the first person mode will enable iron sights.
- You can interact with mirrors by pressing L2+o (LT+B).
- You can hold square/X to continually loot things from cupboards etc.
- Left on DPAD while ads switches shoulder aim.
- Pressing square/X whilst aiming lets you dive.
- Hold X/A to continually craft ammunition at the campfire. It skips most of the animation. As a note, you can craft split points easily and they do more damage.
- You can fire from the hip by tapping R2 without holding L2, bit more inaccurate but useful in a bind and faster.
- Press square/X for more customisation options.
- Holding R1/RB will reverse.
- Hold R1 or L1 or the bumpers while shopping in the catalog to quickly go to the next category.
Clothing & Food Tips – RDR 2
- Wearing a mask is not always enough to hide your identity, if you’re known in town people may be able to identify you from your clothing, your horse, or your custom weapons. Set up a “crime outfit” and don’t wear it while you’re out being a law-abiding citizen.
- The companion app lets you order clothes without having to go to a tailor.
- Sell all of your canned food supplies and instead cook and stow meat from your campfire. Venison and Beef give great benefits, it’s easy to come by, and you won’t clog up your satchel with a bunch of canned corn.
Hunting Tips And Tricks – RDR 2
- When hunting: You can hold L2, use binoculars, zoom in with a gun etc. on an animal to see the quality of its pelt.
- For easy flight feathers get a good vantage in an area with lots of birds, ducks, etc. Equip varmint rifle. Eat food/tonic to max deadeye. Fire a shot into the air (DPAD up while aiming), then enter deadeye and shoot down the startled birds as they take off.
- You can’t sell perfect pelts to standard butchers. The game’s way of forcing you not to let a good item go to waste. Offload at the trapper so the perfect pelts contribute to his unique item recipes.
- Opossums play dead when you get close to them.
Dead Eye Tips And Tricks – RDR 2
- Activating dead eye when reloading skips animations.
- You can dead eye while scoping and see the target organs on an animal for a clean kill.
Credit for these tips goes to the users of Red Dead Redemption sub-reddit. You guys can check out our Red Dead Redemption 2 Wiki Page for more interesting guides like this – it carries a link to the all Story Missions Walkthrough, Tips on how to win a duel, ways to fast travel in the game, and many other things.