How Dead Eye Works & Best Ability Cards To Unlock | Red Dead Online
Dead Eye in RDR2 Online is tweaked to work differently compared to the main game (Red Dead Redemption 2). In Red Dead Online, there are 4 Ability Card Slots, the first Card Slot is reserved for Dead Eye Ability Card (unlocked), and the other three Card Slots for the Passive Ability Cards (locked behind RANK, details provided below).
How To Use DeadEye & Unlock All Ability Cards
Coupling Ability Cards with Dead Eye give you a few extra features in RDR2 Online, some cards are free, but some requires a higher rank to unlock.
How Dead Eye Works In RDR2 Online
Dead Eye is a powerful ability that slows down time and allows you to mark the target. You can then shoot them instantly, an easy win. Dead Eye is also very powerful against Legendary Animals, helps you in hunting and more. In RDR2 Online Dead Eye works in a different way. Along with Dead Eye, there are three different slots. The first one is reserved for Dead Eye, you can activate it by holding L2 and then pressing R3. To use Ability Cards, you have to unlock them first and then equip them to use. You can use three cards at one time, you can also upgrade using XP Points. To unlock cards you have to reach certain Ranks. You can read the second section of this guide for more info on the required rank.
Dead Eye Card will be equipped by default while using it, it won’t slow down time compared to the offline story mode. The screen turns yellow once you trigger Dead Eye, you can mark the target and shoot them, with this, you also get some passive abilities linked with the feature.
Dead Eye Ability Cards & Their Effects/Power
RDR Online brings four Cards, one is Dead Eye and three are passive abilities. To view cards launch Weapon Wheel and press Triangle to launch Ability Loadout, the first card is Dead Eye and the other three are 1st, 2nd & 3rd passive cards. Below are the details of cards and what they do, along with the ranks you need to unlock them.
4 Red Dead Online Ability Card Slots:
- Dead Eye Card Slots - Unlocked
- 1st Passive Card Slot - Unlocks at Rank 10
- 2nd Passive Card Slot - Unlocks at Rank 20
- 3rd Passive Card Slot - Unlocks at Rank 40
Dead Eye Abilities:
- A Moment To Recuperate: While the dead eye is active you slowly regenerate health. Taking any damage will cancel dead eye. Price - Free.
- Focus Fire: While the dead eye is active, you and your team members deal a little more damage. If more than one member of your team has this ability active, the effects do not stack. Price - Free.
- Paint It Black I: While the dead eye is active you can paint targets onto enemies. Fire your weapon to shoot all marked targets. Each shot drains dead eye. Price - Free.
- Slow and Steady I: While the dead eye is active, you take a little less damage and headshots don’t kill you instantly. You cannot run or sprint. Price - Rank 24.
- Quite an Inspiration I: While the dead eye is active you and your allies slowly regenerate health. The effects do not stack. Price - Rank 44.
- Slippery Bastard I: While the dead eye is active enemy players cannot lock onto you, and you cannot lock onto them. Other enemies are a little less accurate when shooting you. The rate at which your dead eye drains is dramatically increased. Price - Rank 50.
We suggest going with A Moment To Recuperate, because it offers you slight health regeneration. You have to take care you don’t get shot or else it will cancel the effect. The second one you can try out is Paint it Black that allows you to paint a target on enemies so you can take more.
Don’t forget to read our Red Dead Redemption 2 Wiki guide, which is a massive index of lots of guides and tips on the game.