Characters make the world go around in Genshin Impact, so the chance to get a free one is always nice. Even better, this is the first time in the game we will get to pick which character we wanted, even if the pool is somewhat limited.
To get your hands on a free 4 Star character from the game’s Liyue region, you will need to take part in the Lantern Rite and Stand By Me events that will be coming to the game in Genshin Impact 1.3. They will not be live in the game when the update launches, so read both linked guides to find out exactly when they will go live.
The very basics of getting your free character are as follows:
- Reach the Festive Fever stage “Glow of a Thousand Lanterns”
- Spend 1000 Peace Talismans
What is Festive Fever?
Festive Fever is an overall event level that you can increase by finishing Requests during the Lantern Rite event. You will need to complete the first quest in the Lantern Rite event “The Origin of the Lanterns” to unlock this mechanic.
Glow of a Thousand Lanters is the third level of Festival Fever. We do not have a huge amount of information on this mechanic, or how to complete requests. We will update this guide when miYoHo make more information available, or when the event launches.
What are Peace Talismans?
Peace Talismans are prizes that you can win from the Theater Mechanicus event. All these events are tied together, part of an overall even that will be ongoing in the game during February and early March.
● Each attempt at Theater Mechanicus costs 1 Xiao Lantern (regardless of whether or not the challenge is successful). Xiao Lanterns can be crafted at a Crafting Bench, and the required crafting materials can be obtained by gathering plants and ore and defeating specified enemies.
● Progressing through the stages of Festive Fever unlocks new maps, new mechanici, higher upgrade levels, and higher difficulty levels.
● Progressing through the stages of Festive Fever unlocks new Theater Mechanicus challenges. Complete them to win Peace Talismans.
● Theater Mechanicus challenges can only be completed in Single Player Mode or a two-player Co-Op session.
Once again, we will be updating this guide with more exact details when all the events go live in the game. If you are unsure about which 4 Star Liyue character to pick, we have some thoughts on the subject that will help you make a decision.