In a developer update streamed on Twitch, Blizzard has revealed two of the many new runewords to be added to the game in the 2.4 update, set to launch sometime in January 2022. The two named runewords are Pattern and Plague, both of which have existed in the game’s code since patch 1.1, released in August 2005. Ten new runewords were added in that update, but two, including Pattern and Plague, were disabled. So, after a 16-year wait, Diablo fans are finally going to be able to try them out.
In the existing code, the Pattern runeword is TalOrtTir and requires a 3-socket claw as its base. Meanwhile, the Plague runeword is ChalFalUm and requires a 3-socket weapon as its base. The effects of both runewords are listed below, although Blizzard said there will be “slight tweaks” to each of them.
Blizzard promised that Pattern and Plague are just two of “many more” runewords and that their aim is to offer players more mid-game runewords. There are currently good runewords for the early and late games, but there’s a bit of a drought in the level 40-60 range. Diablo 2: Resurrected 2.4 will fix this and introduce Ladder Rank play and re-balancing classes for the first time since March 2010.
- 10% Bonus to Attack Rating
- +40-80% Enhanced damage
- 17-62 Added Fire Damage
- +15% Resist All
- +6 to Strength
- +6 to Dexterity
- +30% chance to block
- +2 to mana after each kill
- 1-50 added Lightning damage
- 25% Chance to Cast Level 15 Poison Nova On Striking
- 20% Chance to Cast Level 12 Lower Resist When Struck
- Level 13-17 Cleansing Aura When Equipped (varies)
- +1-2 All Skills
- +260-380% Damage to Demons (varies)
- -23% To Enemy Poison Resistance
- 0.3% (0-29.7) Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)
- Adds 5-30 Fire Damage
- 25% Chance of Open Wounds
- Freezes Target +3
- +10 to Strength