With Fortnitemares 2020 underway, there are some new challenges in the game, and on the way over the coming week. One of the challenges that will be unlocking later in the week is to detect players as a Shadow.
You become a Shadow by dying in Solos, Duos, or Squads. You are turned into a ghostly apparition and spawn back in above the area you died, giving you a chance to get your revenge on those who are still living.
While you don’t have any guns or shields as a Shadow, you go have four different abilities.
- Slash – A ghastly combo swipe attack that you can use to attack other players
- Dash – Pass through obstacles, gain speed briefly, turn invisible for a short time at the end of the dash
- Scream – Mark nearby living players for all Shadows in range
- Shadow Jump – A high, floaty leap into the air that covers long distances
For this challenge, the Scream ability is the one we want to use. This will cause you to let out a terrifying scream, marking enemies that are close to you with a little red chevron. They will also be marked for any other Shadows within range. This allows you to hunt down players and get the drop on them. The button to use this ability is R on PC, but we are unsure if it maps to the reload button on all other platforms, so pay close attention to the HUD to see which button you need to press.
If there are no players in range, you will get a message telling you this on the screen. You can see the rest of the Fortnitemares 2020 challenge below:
- Become a Shadow (0/3) – 40,000 XP
- Travel 100 Meters on a Witch Broom (0/100) – 40,000 XP
- Eat Candy (0/25) – Midas’ Shadow
- Deal damage with a Possessed Vehicle (October 24)
- Detect players as a Shadow (October 24)
- Eliminate Shadow Midas (October 24)
- Eliminate shadows as Player (October 27)
- Visit Different Witch Shacks (October 27)
- Consume legendary loot as a Shadow (October 27)