Epic has switched up the game in Fortnite for Fortnitemares 2020. When you die in Solos, Duos, or Squads, you will come back as a Shadow and can hunt down and attack living players.
It’s not quite an even playing field, as they will have weapons, shields, and other such things, while you just have some abilities. You have no shields, and just 100 health, so the good news is that you can consume items to heal if you take damage. We don’t just mean fruit and vegetables either, we mean you can consume anything. Weapons, ammo, health kits, chug jugs, anything that can be found on the floor, or in a chest or ammo box, is food for you in your Shadow form.
All you need to do is find an item, then interact with it to eat it. This will heal you a small amount, and also prove to be a useful way to deny living players important things that they might need. One of the challenges that will be activating later in the week is to consume some Legendary items as a Shadow. Legendary items are the golden rarity, so they can be quite hard to find. You will actually need to be quite lucky to come across a player who has them.
It might be a better idea to search the map until you find one, then kill yourself with a fall or a grenade. You will respawn as a shadow directly above where you die and can drop down and eat your own gear. It’s a pretty dramatic way to get the challenge done, but it might make life a bit easier. And shorter.
You can find the rest of the Fortnitemares 2020 challenges below:
- Become a Shadow (0/3) – 40,000 XP
- Travel 100 Meters on a Witch Broom (0/100) – 40,000 XP
- Eat Candy (0/25) – Midas’ Shadow
- Deal damage with a Possessed Vehicle (October 24)
- Detect players as a Shadow (October 24)
- Eliminate Shadow Midas (October 24)
- Eliminate shadows as Player (October 27)
- Visit Different Witch Shacks (October 27)
- Consume legendary loot as a Shadow (October 27)